Exploring the Politics of Slavery, Secession and Reunion

616 North 14th Street

Oxford, Mississippi

Hours: Fri.-Sun. 1-4pm
Free Admission

Hours may change seasonally
The house is also open by
appointment for group tours.

Restoration of the L.Q.C. Lamar House

 

Please click the "play" button below to view a short video detailing the restoration of the house.

 

The restoration effort, funded by a National Historic Landmark grant, a Save America’s Treasures grant, a Mississippi Community Heritage Preservation Grant, and allocations from the City of Oxford and Lafayette County, began in May 2007 and concluded with the formal dedidcation of the newly restored home in June 2008.

 

 

History of the L.Q.C. Lamar House

June 1868-June 1869:  Virginia and Lucius Lamar paid the note on two lots, approximately 30 acres, in the northern part of Oxford, Mississippi.
Fall 1869-April 1870:  The couple built a modest Greek Revival house.
1888:  Lamar transferred the house to his oldest daughter, Fannie L. Mayes.
May 15, 1975:  The National Park Service officially designated the Lamar House a National Historic Landmark in the category “Political and Military Affairs 1865-1900.”
2000:  The Mississippi Heritage Trust included the Lamar House on its “Ten Most Endangered List” as a classic case of “demolition by neglect.”
January 29, 2004:  The Oxford-Lafayette County Heritage Foundation bought the house with a $425,000 allocation by the Mississippi Legislature.
May 2004: Declared a Mississippi Landmark.
July 2004:  Declared an Oxford landmark.
May 2007:  $1,500,000 restoration began.
June 2008:  Restoration concluded.
June 8, 2008:  Lamar’s restored house was formally dedicated.
Summer 2008:  House was transferred to the City of Oxford.

    

Site content © 2015 L.Q.C. Lamar House Museum
Contact UsVisit OxfordCedar Oaks